"The Generous Life"
Pastor Laura Guy
May 5, 2013
Here's an instant replay of what happened in worship:
- We thought about how much people like to hear sermons about generosity - much more than they like sermons about tithing! We think of ourselves as generous people and we want others to think of us that way, too. Both John the Baptist and Jesus said that we should share what we have with those in need. But the problem with generosity is that the needs never end. How do we know when we've been generous enough? That is an ongoing struggle in our faith life.
- We read Prov 11:24-25 and saw that being generous helps us see our own wealth.
- We looked at the Generosity Spiral and the descriptions of what each turn on the spiral says about our motivation to give. As we move down the spiral (whee!) we let go of more and more of our resources and we are motivated more and more by love.
- We watched a video where singer Sara Groves talks about what motivates her to be generous.
- We prayed to be people who would live the generous life.
- We celebrated communion around the table of love.