"When Dreams Become Real"
Pastor Laura Guy
November 6, 2011
Here's an instant replay of what happened in worship:
- We reviewed Joseph's life so far - thrown in a pit by his brothers and sold into slavery, then thrown in jail for a crime he didn't commit. While there, Joseph meets the cupbearer and baker for Pharaoh who are also in prison. They tell Joseph of their troubling dreams. Joseph realizes he has a gift for interpreting dreams so he tells the cupbearer that he will be restored to his position in three days. The baker, however, will be killed in three days. Both of these dreams come true, yet the cupbearer forgets to mention to Pharaoh that Joseph is wrongly imprisoned.
- We read Gen. 41 and heard about the dreams that Pharaoh has. The cupbearer remembers Joseph's gift, and Joseph is able to interpret Pharaoh's dream. The dream tells him that there will be seven years of abundance followed by seven years of famine. If Pharaoh stores up food during the time of abundance, there will be enough to eat during the famine. Pharaoh puts Joseph in charge of this great responsibility.
- We thought about how Joseph could have kept quiet about his ability to interpret dreams. He didn't have to share his gift. But when he did, his own life was changed dramatically and the history of Egypt was changed dramatically. What are the gifts that we have? Do we choose to share them or keep them hidden?
- We heard Cheryl Pinkman talk about the gift she has for making things with her hands. She feels God leading her to use that gift to start a prayer shawl ministry at the church.
- We prayed that God would show us what we have to give and where we can use our gifts to bless others.
- We celebrated communion at the table of love.