"Dealing with Doubt"
Pastor Laura Guy
April 19, 2009
Here's an instant replay of what happened in worship:
- We remembered how Mary ran and told the disciples that Jesus was alive. Yet the next time we see them, they are huddled in a room behind locked doors. They weren’t living as if they believed her news.
- We read John 20:18-31 and saw how Thomas became Doubting Thomas. Yet even after the disciples had seen Jesus for themselves, they were still huddled together behind locked doors. Thomas only wanted to see for himself what the other disciples had already seen – physical proof of the resurrection.
- We thought about how nice it would be if we could see Jesus standing before us, in the flesh. It would erase our doubts if we could see and feel his scars. But we don’t have physical evidence. Jesus knew we would still come to faith without it however, and he blessed those that, “Don’t see yet believe.”
- We acknowledged that we all live with doubts, and there are many people who will feed our doubts. But if we bring our doubts to Jesus, he will reveal who he is so that we may step from uncertainty to certainty.
- We prayed for eyes of faith that will see Jesus standing before us.
- We celebrated communion at the table of love.